Monday, July 6, 2009

Patron of the TUNES

My wonderful husband who works so dilligently to provide for our family recently asked me a question that went something like this:
Nick: "Hey, can you burn me a CD for work tonight?"
Me: "I would love to. What kind of music do you want?"
Nick: "Anything, as long as its not any of your weird stuff. You have a lot of weird music."
Me: "Uh...sure."

I must confess I was at first very hurt and slighty disturbed by my dear spouse's comment. I have often taken pride in my excellent and innovative music selection. A patron of the tunes if you will. I have everything from Bach to Beck! How could I be one of those "weird music listeners?"

I thought the initial shock of my husband's comment would wear off, but unfortunately it did not. I decided to go through my itunes and see if what he claimed was true. The A's and B's looked great - awesome in fact. Except for the Ace of Base CD. My content did not last long - for I reached the unthinkable C's. I came across Celine Dion, who in my opinion is probably in the top ten greatest artists of all-time. As I came across Celine Dion, I realized that I had to scroll down to view all my "favorite songs." Despite my better judgement, I counted my Celine Dion songs.

A Whopping 37.
Nope - missed one. That would be a whopping 38.
I bet most of you didn't know that Celine Dion even had 38 songs.
Well she does. Many in French as well.

I wondered if this was the root of my husband's "issues" with my music. I continued on and realized that Celine Dion was by far my most popular artist and 3 of her songs were in my top 25. I guess walking to work listening to "I'm Alive" everyday has taken its toll on my playlists. Close behind however was James Taylor at 25 and Enya at 22.

A part of me wants to forget my Celine obsession never happened. But as a true patron of the tunes (FYI patron means "boss" in french) I feel it would be against everything I have been taught by Celine's words. She has helped me make many a decision in my life - especially in the department of dating. My husband might shudder at this comment, but even he must admit - he fell for the Celine Dion anticts.

I sat in my bed pondering at my music selections, wondering if my husband was truly mistaken.

I decided this:

Celine Dion is so great in fact - that she is her own genre. The Celine Dion genre includes basically all Celine Dion (Except "My Heart will go on." Even that is too corny for a C.D. lover like me) anything Whitney Houston (Minus the Preacher's Wife Soundtrack), and "Take my Breath Away" by Berlin. While many may argue that this is not, in fact a genre of music - they are wrong. And I'm sure those people listen to any assortment of the C.D. genre on their way to work, jogging, or perhaps even cooking dinner.

So in response to my sweet husband's most honest comment, I will accept my roll as ultimate Patron of the tunes in order to promote great quality music for the rest of my life.

1 comment:

Darcee said...

While I do agree you typically have excellent taste in music, you do steer off course when it comes to Celine. Yikes. I really can't stand her music. Sorry, Syd. I'm with nick on that one. The rest is pretty "patrony" of you, though!